Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Defying Definition

Last weekend, our family had pictures taken for Christmas. It's something we always do. And Sheri wisely scheduled said photo session very early this year. She also insists that I wear my clerical collar for said pictures. Which makes things interesting. Whenever I am out in the community with Sheri or with the girls or with all of them, people look and I can tell the gears are just grinding in the head trying to figure it all out. According to common definition, guys who wear clerical collars are supposed to be Roman Catholic priests - which means they are supposed to be celibate. So they see me walk into Portrait Innovations with Sheri and the girls and I can just imagine: "Wait, he's a priest (and a young one at that) but is that his wife? Or is that a mistress? And they have kids!! Priests are pedophiles! Does he have a wedding ring? Yes, he has a wedding ring! So this is a priest, who's young and not old, is married, and has kids!" Sometimes they ask me if I'm a priest, and then I explain to them I'm a Lutheran pastor. "What's a Lutheran."
It's fun and a good thing not being defined by anyone's common assertions and preconceived notions. I will not be defined by popular viewpoints or pollster and marketing categories. And I am certainly not self-defined. The definitions I have been given are given by God - child of God, husband, father, U.S. citizen, and yes, a Lutheran Pastor.
And it's just hilarious when Sheri and I exhibit a public display of affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment